Thursday, June 25, 2009

Day 3-4-5: Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough

So it's been a crazy three days. And Michael Jackson died...what that has to do with pediatric surgery, I'm not sure, it was a cardiac arrest...there are no good surgical options for that. I had outpatient clinic today which was really inspiring. The doctor I worked with was super friendly and I saw so many cool cases, pectus excavatum and Marfans, a strangely adorable baby with Osteogenesis Imperfecta III, a bubbly girl from Nigeria with Hirschsprung's Disease (I saw a soave pull-through yesterday), a baby recovering from gastrochisis (they seem to be all over the place). Sure my head might be about to explode and obviously keeping up with a daily journal is a joke, but so far I'm really enjoying this rotation. While it seems impersonal to refer to patients as diseases, as far as HIPAA guidelines go it's kind of the only way. I'm starting to get the hang of it, but starting next week we have all new residents and interns so who knows how it will be. I've also discovered I'm not totally hopeless at answering questions in the ER, though the attendings can sure be intimidating. If I wasn't quite so sleepless, I'd almost be excited about the rest of the rotation.

No comments:

Post a Comment