Friday, June 19, 2009

Day 1: Pediatric Surgery

So today was my first real day of third year rotations and my first day in pediatric surgery. I love waking up and going to work while it's dark! While the day was pretty disorienting, everyone was super helpful...though it's safe to say that everyone from the attending physicians and fellows to the interns feels exhausted most of the time. Great. It's going to be one intense month.

After rounds we were each assigned two patients to follow. Both of my kids were born with congenital defects, an omphalocele and an esophageal atresia, that were fixed when they were born but are now presenting with ongoing complications months to years later. It really makes me appreciate how fortunate I was not to have any post-operative issues after my surgery for duodenal obstruction when I was 3 days old. Maybe some of these kids will be desperate third year med students 25 years from now...right now I just hope they make it home in one piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment