Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Stories

My first day of family medicine I saw a 2 week old and a 99 year old. That pretty much sums up what makes it cool...the range of what you get to see is, well, everything! Still, I can't get away from the fact that dealing with diabetes and hypertension in non-compliant, obese patients would frustrate me over time. At least in theory. In the room, with the patient, you really just want to help and encourage and hope the best for them. But what most of the patients need isn't a doctor...it's a lifestyle overhaul...and probably a doctor too. You can manage the problems, but you can't cure most of them...at least not until the singularity. Following patients and families through the years would be wonderful. Really knowing the patient's life, their history and social situation, and having the skills to treat most of their problems is how I always pictured a good family doctor...and just a good doctor period. I love stories. More than any other doctors I've worked with, the family practitioners seem interested in the med student's back stories and the stories of their patients. One of the books I read for my medical anthropology class long ago, "A Fortune Man: The Story of a Country Doctor" about John Sassall, a general practitioner working in rural England, completely captivated me...the compassion and solidarity he showed with his patients is remarkable. If only being a doctor was like that now...though maybe you can get too close...he ultimately committed suicide.

"The human condition is not curable." -Our family medicine preceptor

While I've been all broken up about genocide and kids with cancer, family medicine has made me realize how much depression so many people are dealing with on a regular basis. A series of unfortunate events. Being laid off, kids who won't graduate for high school, abuse, obesity, retirement, death, realizing your life hasn't turned out the way you wanted...it's not that I'm completely naive and refuse to acknowledge all of these things exist...I've just been fortunate to not have to confront them head on on a regular basis. Yet, this seems to be the majority of what we see in family practice (and the physical manifestations of these problems). If you've got tons of fungus growing in your fat folds, you know you have a problem. I get depressed just thinking about it...but that's life. And if a doctor can try to help with pills, or encouragement, or anything that's great. Of course, the people who make regular trips to the doctor aren't really a random sampling of humanity either. I really like the doctor I'm working with, she's about my mom's age and just totally competent and spot on with most things. But my favorite patients are still the few kids we get to see. I like to dream that with the right influence from their pediatrician, kids can fulfill their potential and avoid a life plagued by regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment