Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Beta Alpha Beta Iota Epsilon Sigma

OB/GYN really is kind of like a sorority. First of all there's only one male resident left in the entire residency program and only one male attending at Methodist. Secondly, we spend portions of the day sitting around in the resident room watch Good Morning America and Oprah, reading People and US Weekly, knitting, shopping for handbags online, and talking about relationships. That's all well and good...it just feels weird when it's a big part of your work day! Still, I'm enjoying all the girl power! And I think that for the most part it's a really good thing that women are taking over the field...there are just some things it's better to talk to about with someone who can directly relate.

It's the same with the doctor I've been shadowing for the past week and a half. A large part of the day is spent counseling people on diminished libido or heavy menstrual periods. Dr. Lee is focused and descriptive but also reassuring and understanding. I just don't think male doctors can make the same connection with their patients. Not to say that some women wouldn't prefer a male doctor in this situation...but for the most part the girls club seems to work well. It kind of makes me feel bad for all the guys in my class who have to go through this rotation.

Working at this new hospital has definitely been a different experience. The building itself is only 5 years old so everything is sparkly and super nice. It's also outside of the resident education system so it's just me and Dr. Lee which is both a good and bad thing. I've learned a lot just from shadowing her and watching how she interacts with patients, but most of what I've done has been observation since these are her private patients and I don't think she's quite sure what to do with me. We see patients in clinic all day most days...though starting at 7 or 8...not 4:30! At least a third of the patients are routine OB visits leading up to delivery so lots of listening to heart tones (something I actually get to do!) and measuring bellies. There's also the annual exams (yay pap smears!) and random visits for STDs, colposcopy, etc. We do surgery on Tuesdays and Fridays...though I'm not convinced surgical options are really the best for treating chronic pelvic pain. I really like the continuity of care, but I don't think I want to be talking about periods all day, every day for the rest of my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment