Wednesday, July 22, 2009

How To Save A Life

When I woke up this morning at 7 it was actually light out. Our dear peds surg residents would have just been completing morning rounds as I was eating breakfast. It's a relief to be done with surgery. Overall I enjoyed it, I really did, I just don't think it's what I'm going to be doing the rest of my life. Love the kids, but I also love having a life.

Much to the disappointment of my dear friend Roopa, I did not, in fact, live out any Grey's Anatomy fantasies during my surgery rotation. People are much to busy to be having sex in the on call room. Plus, I'm engaged...and pretty much everyone else is married. Although some of the attending physicians are handsome in an older, distinguished kind of way, I don't think any long, dreamy looks were exchanged in the OR. At least not that I was aware of. However, you can certainly imagine scenarios that would bring people together...the residents practically live in the hospitals and rarely see their families. And things get intense...very intense...maybe not to the level of a scripted TV show (plus we don't have the moving soundtrack), but stress levels run high. You've got to be willing to cut in order to heal. We did practice drawing blood on each other, but no one suggested we practice trying to take out another student's appendix. Probably a wise move.

Now it's on to OB/GYN. More surgeries and more babies...but from a different perspective. And with slightly better hours?

No comments:

Post a Comment